Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Cicadas' are Coming



Here in Chicago, we have the great pleasure of experiencing a phenomenon that occurs every 17 years (no, I'm not referring to a visit from a McCartney member). Within a couple days, millions of cicadas (big, red-eyed bugs that look like locusts) will end their 17 year hiatus and emerge from below the ground simultaneously. They will crawl up trees, shed their skin and stretch their wings, while the males sing to the females a deafening chorus, surely in an attempt to cause a lack of sleep. After mating, in 4 to 6 weeks, the newborn cicadas will fall to the ground and burrow for another 17 year stay. How fun.



Evidently, this is more of a Midwest thing, so they are not available to you all in Colorado or Texas. I guess we don't share too well here. I don’t remember this 34 years ago in Michigan. Do you Mom or Dad?



4 comments:

Lyndi Mac said...

eeew! No I don't remember them - we must have missed the cycle. The pictures didn't work so I put two more in. Creepy.... you guys can come hide out here until those icky things leave.

Marc Mac said...

According to Wikipedia:

"Many people around the world regularly complement their standard diet with cicadas."

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

eeeew i beat they taste gross its justin guys

Anonymous said...

justins back and at school theres these two trees filled with cicadas