Thursday, February 15, 2007

Story Time


















When I was a kid we use to drive everywhere – we usually drove from California to Oklahoma on old route 66 to see Grandma Chase (my gram) or to Chicago to see Grandmother Taussig (my other grandmother) – families didn’t fly – it was way too expensive. It was kind of hard being in the car with my brothers and sister. Not much room to move around and we did not have air conditioning. Plus my Dad had this saying he lived by: “All children should be seen and not heard”. So I had to be silent when my older brother Chase tortured me, and my younger brother John had to be silent when I tortured him but my little sister Jeane just screamed when my younger brother tortured her. That girl just couldn’t get with the program and we all caught the wrath of Dad and Mom. A double barrel yelling – thanks Jeane! To amuse ourselves we would read the Burma shave signs along the road and laugh our heads off. I’m not sure any of us knew the meaning but we laughed at everyone them. So I’ll be posting some fun memories from time to time and hope they make you laugh too.

FYI: Before there were Interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields. They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line rhyme......and the mandatory 5th sign was the Burma Shave sign, a popular shaving cream.




SHE KISSED
THE HAIRBRUSH
BY MISTAKE
SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
HER HUSBAND JAKE
Burma Shave

No comments: